Global Health Initiative Supplemental Guidance on Women, Girls, and Gender Equality Principle
(August 2011) The United States Global Health Initiative has released a supplemental guidance on the women, girls, and gender equality principle. Comprised of 10 gender-related activities, GHI provides guidance for implementation by highlighting key program elements to "help improve the health of women and girls and increase gender equality."
The activities include:
- Ensuring access to health services.
- Increasing women and girls' participation in implementing health programs.
- Monitoring and prevention of gender-based violence.
- Empowering adolescent and pre-adolescent girls by improving their social networks, education opportunities, and economic assets.
- Engaging men as partners in gender equality.
- Promoting laws to improve gender equality.
- Addressing various determinants of health.
- Utilizing community-based programmatic approaches to improve health for women and girls.
- Building individual capacity, specifically with women.
- Strengthening institutional capacity.
To access the full report please go to www.ghi.gov/resources/guidance/161891.htm.