The 2023 Interagency Gender Working Group (IGWG) Plenary, Breaking Barriers: Addressing Gender Inequities Facing Global Health Workers, explored how gender transformative programs can better address workplace inequities affecting health workers, and improve health and gender outcomes. The plenary highlighted research examining gender inequities faced by health workers and showcased promising practices and lessons learned from innovative programs working to address gender barriers in the health system workplace. The event aimed to better equip IGWG members to examine gender inequity in their own organizations and to promote more equitable and inclusive workplaces—both within and outside the health system.
Drawing upon the rich discussion points that emerged from the 2023 IGWG Plenary, this brief provides examples of common gender inequities facing global health workers and offers recommendations and resources for program implementers on how to address these inequities based on evidence-building practices. Recommendations provide guidance on how to:
- Address gender discrimination in health sector human resource practices;
- Address gender-based violence and harassment in the health workplace;
- Foster leadership commitment and accountability to promote intersectional gender equity for health workers;
- Fill the data gap on gender inequities faced by health workers; and
- Involve health workers in creating a safe, equitable workplace.
Want to learn more about the 2023 IGWG Plenary? Access event materials, including webinar recordings and slides, here and read IGWG member reflections—collected ahead of the event—on their personal experiences facing and addressing gender inequities and barriers in the health workforce here.