- This event has passed.
Understanding Masculinities in the Middle East and North Africa Region
March 14, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Hosted in partnership by: UN Women, Promundo, and Sida
Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Time: 5:30pm – 7:30pm, inclusive of event and reception
LOCATION: Japan Society, 333 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017
What does it mean to be a man in the Middle East and North Africa today? How do men and women view masculinity, and men’s roles – as sons and husbands and fathers, at home and at work, in public and private life? Where do those attitudes come from, and what do they mean for gender equality and women’s empowerment?
Very little research has been conducted to look into these issues, until now, through the largest ever multi-country study carried out in the Middle East and North Africa, the International Men and Gender Equality Survey (IMAGES).
Join UN Women, Promundo, and Sida to explore perceptions and realities of masculinities in the MENA region, including through the perspectives of researchers, advocates, practitioners, and celebrity role models from the region; films and a virtual reality experience created as part of UN Women’s regional Because I am a man campaign; and a lively discussion.
The event will highlight key entry points for engaging men and boys in gender equality through community-based and national programs, campaigns, and advocacy efforts. There will be a reception to follow.
- H.E. Ms. Haifa al-Agha, Minister of Women’s Affairs in Palestine
- Mr. Dhafer L’Abidine, Guest of Honor, Tunisian Actor
- Ms. Eva Johansson, Lead Gender Policy Advisor, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
- Mr. Mohammad Naciri, Regional Director, UN Women Arab States
- Dr. Gary Barker, President and CEO, Promundo-US
- Ms. Lena Karlsson, UN Women Programme Manager
- Mr. Anthony Keedi, Masculinities Technical Advisor, ABAAD-Resource Centre for Gender Equality