The IGWG organizes regular in-person and virtual events where members from around the world can learn from and connect with each other. These events may be thematic, such as a focus on recent research in the GBV field, or dedicated to capacity building, like how to use film for social and behavior change communication. Our annual IGWG Plenary creates space for members to meet in person and provide feedback on the network as a whole each year.
Presentations and recordings of IGWG events are available online so you can find past events you missed or want to revisit. The presentation materials are also available.
- This event has passed.
2016 IGWG Plenary
October 26, 2016 @ 8:30 am - 11:30 am
IGWG plenaries, held at least once a year, attract a large following among the Gender Community of Practice and the Oct. 26, 2016 plenary was no exception. With over 80 attendees representing 30 organizations, IGWG members and gender development professionals came together to share updates on their work and ideas moving forward as 2016 comes to a close. The plenary also marked a transition in the IGWG’s Gender-Based Violence Task Force, with longtime co-chairs from CARE, Doris Bartel and Leigh Stephanik, stepping down and Rose Wilcher of FHI360 joining as co-chair with PRB. Also, the formation of a new IGWG Male Engagement Task Force was announced.
Two major presentations were heard by attendees: Karen Hardee of the Evidence Project presented on “Men as Contraceptive Users: Programs, Outcomes, and Recommendations” Margaret Greene of GreeneWorks presented on “Updating Gender Synchronization: A Relational Model for Promoting Gender Equality and Improving Health and Development.” Greene shared the updated methodology behind gender-transformative approaches in gender programming design including updated definition and question framing for the upcoming IGWG report.
Following the two main presentations, eight “Bonus Round” speakers, selected from over 30 submissions, shared insights and developments on gender-related projects. Please see the list of Bonus Round presenter list for further details on each presentation.
- Men as Contraceptive Users – Karen Hardee, Evidence Project
- Gender Synchronization: Updating and Expanding the Concept – Meg Greene, Greeneworks
Bonus Round Presentations
- Carolyn Rodehau of Meridian-Group International – Gender Code Guidance for Companies and Supply Chain Initiatives (Evidence Project)
- Jane Brown of JHUCCP – Innovative Approach to Couple Communication: Aiiseee!
- Joya Banerjee of Jhpiego – Gender Service Delivery Standards, A Checklist Tool
- Rebecka Lundgren for Brad Kerner of IRH/Georgetown and Save the Children –Whose Turn to Wash the Dishes? Shifting Gender Norms among VYAs
- Leigh Wynne and Rose Wilcher of FHI360 – Engaging “Emanzi”- Model Men in Uganda
- Elena Gillis of International Rescue Committee – A Gender Analysis and Program Design Tool for Humanitarian Response
- Laura Hinston of International Center for Research on Women – Woman’s Condom and SILCS Diaphragm: A Qualitative Research Study in Zambia and Malawi
- Dominick Shattuck of IRH/Georgetown – FACT Project: Storylines and Games to Integrate Gender and Engage Men